Hello, and thank you for checking out my website. If you stumbled across me by accident, I am Dr Michala Hulme, an award-winning historian and professional genealogist from Manchester based at the University of Birmingham. I specialise in the period 1800-1950. My personal research interests include living and dying in Victorian Britain, with a particular focus on the experience of the working classes, crime and street gangs. I have made over 80 appearances on various BBC Radio stations and have featured in national and regional TV programmes, such as NBC, CNN, Channel 4’s Britain’s Most Historic Towns, Channel 5’s This Week on the Farm, Channel 5’s How the Victorian’s Built Britain with Michael Buerk, Channel 4’s Great Canal Journeys, BBC’s Heir Hunters, Who Do You Think You Are?, Channel 4’s Genealogy Roadshow, BBC Breakfast, Channel 5 News, BBC News and Granada News. I have written for and featured in several newspapers and magazines, such as the Mail, The Stylist, The Daily Mirror, M.E.N, Who Do You Think You Are Magazine? and the Telegraph. I am a published author with the History Press – my books focus on the ‘grim’ side of living in a Victorian city. I am on the Editorial Board of the Midlands History Journal.
In 2023, you can catch me on Channel 4’s The Great British Dig, ITV’s DNA Journey & Discovery+’s Help! My House in Haunted
- May 2023: Unearth the Past podcast Ep 1 is HERE!! Click here for more info!
If you also want to see what we actually look like, you can check us out on YouTube
- May 2023: MY NEW PODCAST IS HERE! Have I got some exciting guests for you over the next few weeks!! To hear more about the podcast click here
- May 2023: Had a little chat to the Telegraph about the Royal Family. To see the full article, click here
- May 2023: Loved appearing on BBC Midlands chatting about the Royal Family.
- March 2023: If you missed any of ITV’s DNA Journeys, you can catch them all on ITV X
Hugh Bonneville & John Bishop: https://www.itv.com/watch/dna-journey/2a5252/2a5252a0014
Johnny Vegas & Alex Brooker: https://www.itv.com/watch/dna-journey/2a5252/2a5252a0016
Neil Morrissey and Adrian Dunbar: https://www.itv.com/watch/dna-journey/2a5252/2a5252a0015
Oti Mabuse and Motsi Mabuse: https://www.itv.com/watch/dna-journey/2a5252/2a5252a0017
- March 2023: This is my last week on DNA Journey for this series. In this episode, I travelled to Northern Ireland to meet Neil Morrissey and Adrian Dunbar.
- March 2023: On this week’s DNA Journey, I got to meet the very lovely Johnny Vegas and Alex Brooker. I met them at the glass museum in Bristol for a bit of glass blowing…
- March 2023: It’s all a bit spooky!! This week I filmed with the ‘Help! My House is Haunted’ team in Tipton. The programme should air later this year.
- March 2023: DNA Journey is back on your screens!! Can it Tuesday at 9pm on ITV! The series kicks off with John Bishop and Hugh Bonneville. Here are some cheeky BTS shots…
- February 2023: Back in London in the studio recording the green screen for ITV’s DNA Journey – the new season starts in March!
- January 2023: New Year, New Me…. not quite!! I slipped in the Lake District on NYE, descending a fell and broke my elbow! The joys!
- December 2022: In the studio, recording the Great Lives programme with Matthew Harris and Bob Harris for BBC Radio 4! You can listen to the show now on the BBC iplayer.
- Sept-Nov 2022: Now it’s officially out there, we are back filming a new series of DNA Journey. More information about the celebrities will be released in early 2023.
- September 2022: The new series of DNA Journey is back on ITV!! If you miss any of the episodes, you can get them now on the ITV hub. This season is one of my favourites :)))
- September 2022: Back with the Great British Dig team to film the new series starting in Bognor Regis! The series will be back on your screens in 2023.
- September 2022: When you get to talk to the lovely Anita Rani about ice cream :))) If you missed it you can catch Channel 4’s Britain by Beach now on All4.
- July 2022: Back in London filming ITV’s DNA Journey! The new series will be back in Autumn 2022.
- July 2022: My exhibition on Ellen Rattalack is now open at Manchester Central Library. The exhibition was a partnership with the people of Greater Manchester, and students from the University of Birmingham will be on display until September 2022. For more information, click here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-62009141
- June 2022: I really enjoyed talking to everyone at the Ashbourne Festival. There is nothing I like more than chatting about dodgy Victorians.
- June/July 2022: In June and July, I was fortunate to work on an exciting and emotional TV programme for Sweden’s SVT channel with celebrity chef Tareq Taylor. The series with be on TV in Summer 2023.
- June 2022: More behind-the-scenes from the upcoming series of ITV’s DNA Journey.
- June 2022: Spoke to GB News about the Queen’s Jubilee.
- May 2022: Back filming the new series of ITV’s DNA Journey, which will be on your screens in the Autumn.
- May 2022: I really hope you liked last night’s Channel 4’s The Great British Dig, Oswestry. We had a really fun time making it. If you missed it, you can catch it on My4 – it’s worth tuning in just to see my facial expressions! 🙂
- April 2022: Did you enjoy the Torvill & Dean episode of DNA Journey? Here are some behind-the-scenes pictures. If you missed it, you can catch it on the ITV Hub.
- April 2022: Filming something special for Channel 4 in Morecambe, which will be out in September! Stay tuned for more info!
- April 2022: More behind-the-scenes pictures from Channel 4’s The Great British Dig in Oldham. You can catch the new series now! https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-british-dig-history-in-your-garden
- April 2022: I hope you are enjoying the new series of DNA Journey! Don’t forget, if you miss any episodes, you can catch them on the ITV Hub.
- April 2022: WE ARE BACK!! DNA Journey is back on your screens from 6 April 2022 on ITV. Join Anne Hegerty and Shaun Wallace as they uncover their DNA journey.
- March 2022: Final green screen for the new series of ITV’s DNA Journey. Coming in spring 2022!!!
- March 2022: The next five episodes of the GREAT BRITISH DIG starts back on E4 on Monday 11 April 2022. You can catch me in Oldham talking factories and in Oswestry talking workhouses. I JUST LOVE TALKING!!
- March 2022: IT’S NOW OFFICIAL – DNA JOURNEY IS BACK!!! We are back in the spring with three new episodes. Due to a schedule clash, I couldn’t film all three episodes, however, I do play a small part in some cracking stories.
- February 2022: Filming with the BBC in Manchester with one of my favourite dog rescuers! I will reveal more in autumn 2022.
- January 2022: Did you catch the Devizes episode of The Great British Dig? I hope you enjoyed it! I will be back on your screens when we visit Oswestry and Oldham. If you missed the episode you can catch it here…
- January 2022: Thoroughly enjoyed chatting to BBC’s Women’s Hour. If you missed it, you can catch it here
- January 2022: Thank you to all the BBC local radio stations (Berkshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Kent, Tees, Solent, H&W, Oxford, Derby, Leicester and Cornwall) that had me on talking about the 1921 census
- December 2021: On 29th, The Great British Dig airs the first episode of the new season on More4! You will have to wait until the new year to see my Victorian episodes.
- December 2021: Made my first appearance on GB News talking about Christmas traditions
- November 2021: Enjoyed chatting to NBC about the Royal family. You will be able to catch the interview soon.
- November 2021: Who doesn’t love a good phonebook? Well, if you would like to know about how phonebooks can be a good source for genealogists, check out my chat on BBC Radio 4!
- November 2021: Thoroughly enjoyed chatting to BBC Radio Sussex, BBC Sheffield and BBC West Midlands about Guy Fawkes! You can catch my bits on the BBC iplayer.
- November 2021: The BBC are re-showing my episodes of Heir Hunters! You can check the series out now on the BBC iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b092ngzn/heir-hunters-series-11-18-winsermaclennan
- October 2021: I have been filming something fabulous for ITV that airs in the spring. I wonder if you can guess one of the locations?
- September 2021: Back filming with Channel 4 for The Great British Dig! You will be able to catch the full programme in Spring 2022.
- August 2021: Back filming our favourite ITV show. As soon as we can make an ‘official’ announcement I will reveal all…
- August 2021: Loved filming Channel 4’s, The Great British Dig. My episodes air in Spring 2022
- July 2021: ***NEW BLOG POST —–>Our House The Cat and Fiddle, Macclesfield
- June 2021: Had the privilege to film a cracking show for Channel 4! As soon as I get some pics, I will share them on here 🙂
- May 2021: I am back on BBC Radio Lancashire and also BBC Radio Cumbria! Super excited to have a regular slot of John ‘Gilly’ Gilmore’s show at 10pm, where I will be chatting about all things family history 🙂
- March 2021: Did you enjoy last night’s DNA Journey with Martin & Roman Kemp? If you missed it, you can catch it now on the ITV Player. Word of warning… make sure that you have some tissues handy!
- March 2021: My History Hit podcast episode is OUT NOW!! To listen —–> click here
- March 2021: I have been chatting to BBC Radio Manchester & BBC Northampton about the Census. You can catch my chats on the BBC Iplayer 🙂
- March 2021: I have recorded an episode for Dan Snow’s History Hit podcast, you will be able to catch the episode very soon 🙂
- March 2021: Last night’s DNA Journey with Alan Carr and Amanda Holden was a cracker!!! I hope you enjoyed it. If you missed it, you can catch it now on the ITV Player.
- March 2021: Did you watch DNA Journey last night on ITV? The first episode was all about Jamie Redknapp & Freddie Flintoff following their DNA. If you missed the brilliant first episode you can catch it now on the ITV Player.
- February 2021: I have recently been in Barnsley filming Channel 5’s This Week on the Farm! The programme airs on Thursday, 25th February 2021.
- February 2021: Green screen time! I have been in London filming some green screen material for ITV’s DNA Journey.
- January 2021: I am back filming with ITV’s DNA Journey in Kent. The first episode airs on Wednesday, 10th March 2021 on ITV.
- December 2020: Terrifying tales of revenge, lust and betrayal from Manchester’s Christmas past.. —-> https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/body-cart-horsewhipping-kendals-terrifying-19508618
- December 2020: Here is a sneaky picture from ITV’s DNA Journey – The programme is due to hit British TV screens in Spring 2021. Over the past five months, I have had a great time working with all the celebrities and crew involved in the show.
- December 2020: Did you watch catch Channel 4’s Great British Towns with Prof Alice Roberts? Not only did I feature on the show – hope I didn’t crack your screens, I was also the historical consultant on that episode.
- November/December 2020: I am taking some time off to finish two book proposals. The first proposal is for a historical non-fiction book and the second proposal is for my debut novel. Exciting times!!!
- November 2020: Back filming the final episode of the ITV project in Cornwall. You will get a chance to see the finished series in March 2021 🙂
- November 2020: I enjoyed chatting to the fabulous students from Strathclyde University about family history and the latest projects she is working on.
- October 2020: Last month I sat down with CNN’s Richard Quest to talk about the Industrial Revolution, Manchester and the North West. To watch the final programme click here —> https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/10/27/manchester-northwest-england-quests-world-of-wonder-travel-richard-quest-spc.cnn
- October 2020: Back in London working on the third episode of an ITV project that will hit your screens in March 2021.
- October 2020: **New Blog** —–> Our House: The White Hart, Cheadle, Stockport
- October 2020: Click here to read an interview with Michala for Visit Manchester
- October 2020: Michala’s Hollingworth House blog features in this week’s Blackpool’s Gazette. To read it click here
- October 2020: Michala has been in London working on a project for ITV. Details will be released soon…
- October 2020: Catch Michala talking to Nish on BBC Radio Lancashire about Victorian Gaols
- September 2020: Michala’s ‘Our House’ blogs, will run for the next three Fridays in the Blackpool Gazette. To read the first one, click here
- September 2020: ** New Blog ** —-> ‘Our House’: The Warren Bulkeley Arms Hotel, Stockport
- September 2020: Michala has been chatting to CNN anchor Richard Quest. You will be able to catch her on CNN in October 2020
- September 2020: Michala has been working with Prof Alice Roberts on her Channel 4 show ‘Great British Towns’. Michala will feature on the show and is also the historical consultant on the Manchester episode. The show will air in the autumn.
- September 2020: Michala has been filming on the banks of the River Ribble for a new ITV show with her good friend and podcast co-host Brad Argent.
- September 2020: WOW!!! Michala’s last project Finding the Peterloo Eleven has been shortlisted for Research Project of the Year 2020 at the Times Awards. Click here to read more.
- September 2020 ** NEW BLOG *** ——> Our House: The White Lion, Stockport
- September 2020 **NEW PODCAST IS LIVE** The ‘Our House’ podcast is now live and available on all your podcast suppliers. Click here for more info
- September 2020 ***NEW BLOG*** —–> Our House: Hollingworth House, Albert Road, Blackpool
- August 2020 *** NEW BLOG *** ——>Our House: Mrs Dixon’s Famous Boarding House
- August 2020: If you like your ‘grim’ history, check out this article in the M.E.N, that Michala assisted reporter Damon Wilkinson on.
- August 2020: *** NEW PODCAST COMING SOON *** Michala has recorded a new podcast to accompany the ‘Our House’ blog series. You will be able to hear it at all your favourite podcast places very soon
- August 2020: *** NEW BOG SERIES *** Michala’s new blog series ‘Our House’ is now live!! CLICK HERE TO READ IT. You can also catch her on the BBC iplayer talking to John Gilmore about the first blog which looks at the history of a boarding house in Blackpool.
- July 2020: Michala is the historical consultant and will feature on an upcoming episode of Channel 4’s Britian’s Most Historic Towns. This was due to happen at the beginning of the year, however, due to Covid filming was put on hold. Filming has now commenced again and when Channel 4 issue a transmission date, we will let you know
- July 2020: Michala passes her PhD viva!! She is now offically Dr Hulme
- May 2020: Michala, working with ITV, helps the family of Hilda Churchill who was the oldest victim of the Coronavirus, find the lost grave of her baby sister who died during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. To read more on this click here